Some legends never die, especially the ones with a magical voice! Remembering one such legend on his 87th birth anniversary today – Kishore Kumar aka Kishore Da to his fans, single-handedly changed the wavelength of Hindi cinema just with his plethora of talent. Famously known for his penchant for yodelling and funny antics in his films, this multi-talented singer was also a riot to be around with. And today on his birthday we bring you many such facts that made him a favourite among his peers as well as fans in the 70s-80s:
- Kishore Kumar had no formal training in singing and his first job was as a chorus singer at the famous, Bombay Talkies.
- He suffered from stage fright during his college years and would prefer to sing songs from behind the curtains then.
- Once while shooting for a film, the singer continued to drive the car all the way to Khandala because his director forgot to say cut!
- Did you know he was also known as manas putra? Because he would sometimes talk to himself in a ‘toddler’s voice’!
- During the construction of his bungalow, Kishore Da stayed at his Warden road flat and put up a ‘Beware of Kishore’ sign on the door. So when the director H.S. Rawail visited him to pay his dues, the singer bit him and said ‘Haven’t you read the sign outside?’.
- The famous ‘Paan Banaras Wala’ song was initially rejected by the singer. However, after being convinced he chewed dozens of paan in order to sound authentic while recording.
- Kishore Kumar was married four times. His second wife was none other than the iconic actress, Madhubala.
- The singer preferred to be paid the full remuneration before he started his work. Once a director paid him only half the amount, so he reported on set the next day with half of his head and moustache shaved!
- Kishore Kumar was banned on All India Radio after he refused to support Mrs. Indira Gandhi during the Emergency.
- The actor-singer was not a very media-friendly person. He instilled skulls and bones with red lights in his living room to shoo the paparazzi.
- And last but not the least, the multi-talented singer was born as Abhas Kumar Ganguly, and only after entering the film industry did he adopted the stage name Kishore Kumar.
Quite an interesting man, wasn’t he?
Know more such facts about him? Share them with us in the comments below!